Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Technology-Infused Classroom...


When I think of the ideal technology-infused classroom, I envision a learning environment where technology supports both large group instruction as well as small group, student-centered learning. SMART Boards, tablets, student response systems, and digital document cameras all help engage a large group of students. And don't forget the importance of the software that supports them: presentation software like PowerPoint or SMART Notebook, videos, music, and animation all coordinate together to capture the attention of the student.

But today's 21st century student spends only a small portion of his/her day receiving direct instruction. Instead, they work independently or in small groups and learn in a variety of ways. Assisting them are computers with Internet connections, access to appropriate websites and restrictions from everything else, web quests, virtual field trips, distance learning, cameras and video recorders to create work products, graphing calculators, electronic skill building games, podcasts, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Of course, what I described above is the "ideal" classroom. Not only would it have all the equipment and enough room for all this, but it comes accessorized with bean bag chairs, throw rugs, curtains, lamps, and colorfully painted walls. How can I have a technology-infused classroom? Maybe I can win a show like "Pimp my Classroom" or "Extreme Makeover: School Edition." But short of that, I'll make the most of what I have and apply for grants to get the rest. Just this past May, I asked to take charge of our school's freshman computer lab. It's been under-utilized because of its layout; it's much too easy for students to misuse the equipment. My request was granted and I am in the process of rearranging it and repairing all the equipment. This lab is going to open up a lot of doors for my students, and I will utilize all the resources around me to get it up and running!

This is a video that my team put together for our collaborative group project at Grand Canyon University. You'll see numerous examples of technology infused into the classroom...


1 comment:

  1. Sheryl,
    This is a great vision! I would love a class equipped like the one that you described. What great ideas and learning taking place! I do not know of a single kid who would not want to make their own computer "game" as an assignment.
    Congratulations on getting to redo the lab! This could be a great beginning for everyone involved. It was a nice surprise to see your group's PPT.
    Nancy Bedard

    ReplyDelete